The way your jaw functions affects nearly everything you do with your mouth, including eating, yawning, and even speaking. If your jaw isn’t functioning properly, it can cause chronic facial pain, headaches, and earaches. Fortunately, we can ease your pain and help you regain normal jaw function with TMJ treatment in Naperville.
Our treatment will:
- Use conservative, non-surgical treatment methods
- Relieve jaw pain so you can use your jaw normally again, without discomfort
- Keep pain from spreading from your jaw to your neck, shoulders, and other areas
- Lessen related symptoms such as headaches and earaches
- Help you stop grinding your teeth, a habit that damages enamel
- Ensure your bite is properly aligned to keep TMJ problems from reoccurring
Don’t suffer from a TMJ disorder (TMD). Call 630-528-0692 for a consultation. We’ll assess your condition and, if necessary, provide treatment through our sister facility, Naper Dental Sleep Center. We’re also located inside the 5th Avenue train station.
Relieve TMJ Pain With Several Stages of Treatment
Many dentists treat TMJ dysfunction with a mouthguard that keeps your jaw in proper alignment so your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) can heal. While we offer mouthguards, we also offer more permanent solutions to ensure the problem won’t reoccur. With these solutions, you’ll likely no longer need a mouthguard.
Dr. Angela Planer has special training in relieving TMJ pain. Unlike many dentists who only offer mouthguards, Dr. Planer focuses on more comprehensive, personalized care for TMJ problems. She is a member of the Academy of Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy and other organizations focused on relieving facial pain, including:
- American Academy of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain
- North American Association of Facial Orthotropics
She’ll assess your condition during a thorough exam, using diagnostic tests and high-tech tools like digital X-rays as well as her specialized knowledge. If she determines you have a TMJ disorder, your treatment may include:
- Custom Orthotic or Splint – Wearing a custom-made oral appliance called a splint will gently move your jaw into a position that relieves stress and pressure on your TMJ so it has a chance to heal and relieve your pain.
- Modification of Your Bite – A misaligned bite is often the cause of pressure on your TMJ. Beyond temporary relief, Dr. Planer will determine if your bite can be adjusted using orthodontics and/or dental restorations like crowns or bridges. A well-aligned bite will remove the need for an orthotic.
- Facial Muscle Relaxant – We can inject a special muscle relaxant into your jaw area that prevents excess jaw movement so it can begin to heal.
In some cases, Dr. Planer will work together with specialists such as massage therapists, physical therapists, or chiropractors. For TMJ treatment in Naperville, call 630-528-0692.